Instagram

Instagram

Friday 2 January 2015

Back to basics - Makeup for beginners




This video is aimed at teenage girls who are getting into makeup and want to get to know the basics or even older ladies who have never really been into makeup and have decided as a new years resolution they would like to give it a try or it could just be used as a quick 5 minute go to makeup look for when you're in a rush but don't want to go outside looking like you have just rolled out of bed!
Also to show the difference that makeup can make to your facial features, I have no makeup on the left side of my face and only used light makeup on just the right side of my face. Less is more approach =-)
I use makeup just to highlight the areas I like and "fade" the areas I don't like, such as the areas where I have spots, not to actually mask my face and change how I look.
In this video even though I'm trying to show how a touch of makeup can really bring out your features, like mascara and curling your eyelashes or how a layer of foundation can make your skin look much more even and radiant but it's not heavy that you can't see your natural skin or dramatically changed anything about yourself. I prefer to stay very natural, even though I love the very glamorous looks with lots of colours, very thick long eyelashes and "perfect" looking skin, but that would take too long, too much effort and the kids are always touching my face so I'd have finger marks on my cheeks where they have wiped my foundation off and smudged my mascara! I don't mind being seen without makeup but I would prefer to just spend at least 5 minutes doing the makeup routine I did here, it gives me a bit more confidence and then I feel like people aren't looking directly at the little monsters that have appeared on my chin!
But I don't want to give the impression that everyone SHOULD wear makeup and if they have spots that they SHOULD cover them up which I'm worried that's how it may come across. Makeup is fun, it's a way to show creativeness on your own face, highlight and dim what you like and dislike about yourself and at the end of the day makeup can be washed off, hopefully people are confident enough in themselves that they don't feel like they NEED to wear makeup and are happy with their unique face that no one else has and everyone is beautiful but true beauty comes from within <3



So I started with this MUA prop-base, prime & conceal powder.
I don't think it really makes any difference to the look of my skin, it didn't reduce redness or brighten up my skin but I think it takes the shine away....a little bit! But I think it's nice to use as a base for the application of powder foundation.


Next I used BareMinerals READY foundation. I used the lighter foundation in R130 all over and then used the slightly darker colour in R230 to lightly contour the outside of my face, so starting at the top of my forehead I use it in the shape of number 3, round my temples, under my cheekbone and along my jawbone. Contouring gives your face a more 3D look, whereas using just one colour all over your face can look a bit flat and doesn't bring out your features as much and it can make your face look thinner and defines the cheekbones more, this is why I use it down the sides of my nose to give that slimming effect.


This SLEEK contouring & blush palette is great for beginners, 3 in 1 and the colours are beautiful and natural....depending how lightly you put it on!
So the left darker side is a matte bronzer that you use to contour. If you use a bronzer to contour your face it is best to use a matte shade because a shimmery bronzer isn't going to have the slimming, defining effect that a matte one will have, in fact it will probably make your face look wider if it has a shimmer in it! But a shimmery bronzer on your cheeks looks lovely in the summer time!


I never wear lipliner, it's just something I've never been interested in and now that I have deeper wrinkles on my lips due to smoking for many years (I've quit now yay) I find that darker shades of lipstick/liner, especially red, really settles into the lines around my lips....not a good look as it only accentuates the wrinkles more which makes me look even older!  =-|

I used Rimmel London - Lasting >> finish lip liner in 047 Cappuccino & B. Lipstick in Cappuccino 051

I very lightly filled in my eyebrows with the Makeup Revolution London eyebrow kit, using the top right shade as it's the lightest. If I had darker hair I would use the darker shade.
I only go over the hair that are there, I don't try to make my eyebrows look thicker or higher, I just keep it natural to fill in the gaps as I don't have very full brows.
I think it's important to keep your natural shape to your brow! Years ago I made the mistake of plucking far too many hairs away to achieve that high arched eyebrow look, but they just looked to thin and then it was hard to get them symmetrical which then made me want to pluck more hairs away to get them both perfectly even but eyebrows are never exactly the same "Eyebrows are sisters, not twins".....very true!
So if I could give my teenage self  eyebrow advise, it would be to pluck the stray hairs under the brow only and don't go too thin!


I always curl my eyelashes, if I could only use one beauty product it would be eyelash curlers. I always use Tesco's £1.50 eyelashes, I think they are fantastic! I always heat them up with a hairdryer for 15 seconds as I think that makes the curl hold longer and curls them better!
The eyeliner I used is by Rimmel London soft kohl eye liner pencil in 011 sable brown. I prefer to use a brown as it's less harsh than a black eye liner but I do prefer the look of black on the rims/waterline as it brings the eyes out more!

I love this mascara by Bourjois Paris in Noir (black) it's a waterproof mascara - liner effect!

And I always finish by curling my eyelashes again!

xXx







No comments:

Post a Comment