Instagram

Instagram

Tuesday 27 January 2015

Rant - Nightmare shopping with kids

I need to have a rant! Whenever I go shopping with the kids, one of them always has to throw a tantrum because they see something they want, if they are allowed to have it I will put it in the trolley but then they moan because they want to eat it now but obviously they have to wait til I have paid for it at the til! Or they try to grab things of the shelves and start opening it or they chuck it in the trolley and then it's embarrassing when I get to the til and say "oh actually I don't want that item" then they moan and I look like a cheapo and mean mummy but I am not paying £1 for a lollipop because it has Peppa Pig wrapping! Or in shops like Poundland when you are queuing and on either side of you there are sweets etc and then obviously the kids are going to try and grab them and then start moaning when you put it back! Or if they are in the trolley or pushchair and they knock something off the shelf and it smashes on the floor and EVERYONE turns round and stare at you! What annoys me the most is people staring and making comments!! "what is wrong with him?" "I can't even hear myself think with all that screaming" "are you their mother?" "is he always like this?" and when these rude people are with someone and they are both staring at my kids and shaking their heads in disgust and bitching about them, it makes me so mad I could turn in she-hulk!! Surely they had young kids once and understand how much of a nightmare it can be taking them shopping, I have heard other children throwing tantrums before and I always make sure I ignore it and don't look over at them even if the kids scream did startle me but there is nothing worse than people staring at you and your kids as if you are a horrendous family just because your 2 year old is fed up with sitting in the trolley or because they really want that Barney bear cake! And if I did just let them open things up and eat them whilst wondering around Sainsburys you get people acting like your thieving it or they make comments like "he's never going to learn if you give him what he wants every time he cries!" I just can't stand judgmental people, yes I know it's not nice to hear kids whining but hopefully you'll never see us again so instead of just staring or making rude comments, just ignore it and we'll be in the next aisle in a half a minute! .......I have a headache!
I do not think that my kids are naughty at all and I do understand from their point of view why they get frustrated and moan but sometimes I really don't know how to deal with it in public when they are being like that and people are staring at you, people are so judgmental that whatever move I make, their all going to have an opinion on it, not that I actually care what anyone thinks of me or my parenting skills but at the time all I want is to be invisible and I want the kids to stop bringing attention to us!
Before I have just given them a cookie or whatever it is they wanted to shut them up but one time I had an old lady came up to me and she was like "you have to pay for that before you can open it!!" I was so humiliated, it felt like everyone was looking at me at that moment, so now I always wait til I get to the til and as soon as I have paid for it I give it to them, even though yes I know that is giving them what they want but in that situation I do not care! The lady at the til and the lady she was serving kept looking back at us when I was queuing behind her because Dylan was moaning, I was just keep my head down but then the lady at the til asked "what's wrong with him?" so I said "he just wants a Barney bear but obviously I have to pay for it first" and she said "it's alright just give it to him if it will make him happy, just don't rip the bar code" as soon as I gave it to him he was happy (hallelujah!) then when I was putting my shopping in the bags she asked "how old are you? You don't look old enough to have two kids" I said 28 and she "ooh you don't look it" which was a lovely compliment since I think I look like I am in my 30's and then after that she was very sweet. It's funny how people look at my kids like they are sooooo adorable when they are happy but when they are moaning they look at the like they are little monsters!
Also in the car park they started moaning again because they wanted a yogurt, I have learnt to NEVER give them yogurts in the car as it makes so much mess so the answer was NO you can have one in 5 minutes when we get home! So then came another tantrum from both of them and Dylan wouldn't let me buckle him up in his car seat, a lady came over to me and said " aww you remind me of myself when my two boys were that age, it's hard work isn't it?" Just kind comments like that can make me feel so much better, just to know that someone understands what it's like and can sympathize! 

Are there any other parents that go through the same thing when they take their kids shopping? Or am I the only one? lol! 

No comments:

Post a Comment